What is the role of professional bodies, and how should they treat those who do not follow the rules of ethics in the healthcare realm?.
Can a deontological approach to ethics provide a satisfactory account of doctors’ duties?
This essay plan will argue that a deontological approach to ethics does provide a satisfactory
account of doctors’ duties. The background will describe deontology and consequentialism in moral theory and medical ethics, then explore the differences between them .
2. Arguments (1)
The first part of the essay will explain various topics such as:
• Rules: should doctors do their duties based on ethics / morality or do their duties based on the oath they are taken .
• Actions: what kind of decisions do doctors make, and what are consequences of their actions?
• Concessions to consequentialism: it is deontological rationality?
• Making any concessions to deontology: it is consequentialist rationality?
The section will go on to explore further questions: if a doctor lacks a moral approach towards
patients, how will this affect decisions? What is the role of professional bodies, and how should they treat those who do not follow the rules of ethics in the healthcare realm? Moreover, if
deontology can prove satisfactory in guiding doctors’ duties, what is the type and extent of the
impact on patients?
Having included evidence, cases and theories, in the conclusion of the first part I will summarise what I have discussed and confirm that doctors need to do their duties based on ethics.
(Duty – Right and wrong)
3. Arguments (2)
The second part of the essay will describe how a deontological approach to ethics can provide a satisfactory account of doctors’ duties with deontological theories of beneficent . Furthermore, I will
mention other supporting points, such as:
• Why should doctors follow the principle of Non-maleficence?
• Why should doctors be required to be Beneficent to their patients and what are the effects of this?
• What is Justice and what should a doctor’s duty to others be? Is their duty obligatory or is it optional or traditional?
The essay will mention some cases and evidence related to doctor’s duties. So, when deontology contrasted with utilitarianism what kinds of ethics and morals does a doctor need in healthcare. In the conclusion of the second part, i will summarise what has been discussed and confirm that doctors duteis and ethics can be provide a satisfaction in haealthcare.
In brief conclusion, i will describe the idea that was reached by discussing the question and
presenting the opinions, and summarise the introduction and the argument. However, to approach to satisfactory in doctors’ duties they should consider medical ethics roles.