What are the implications for our nursing practice related to use of standardized terminology.
Week 3: Standardized Terminology and Language in Informatics
What is the impact of Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) payment denial on the healthcare system?
• What are the implications for our nursing practice related to use of standardized terminology for documentation?
• How do evidence-based practice guidelines impact patient outcomes and necessitate improved practice care?
Hebda, T., & Czar, P. (2013). Handbook of informatics for nurses & healthcare professionals (5th ed.). Boston, MA, Pearson.
• Chapter 9: Improving the Usability of Health Informatics Applications (pp. 171–175)
• Chapter 13: System Integration and Interoperability (pp. 261–266 and 269)
• Chapter 15: The Role of Standardized Terminology and Language in Informatics (pp. 298 and 314–317)
• Chapter 20: Regulatory and Reimbursement Issues (pp. 387–393, 395, and 399–402)
Healthcare Information and Management Systems Society. (2013). What is interoperability? http://www.himss.org/library/interoperability-standards/what-is-interoperability (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Tastan, S., Linch, G. C., Keenan, G. M., Stifter, J., McKinney, D., Fahey, L., . . . Wilkie, D. J. (2014). Evidence for the existing American Nurses Association-recognized standardized nursing terminologies: A systematic review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 51(8), 1,160–1,170. doi:10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2013.12.004. Retrieved from https://chamberlainuniversity.idm.oclc.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=ccm&AN=103959650&site=eds-live&scope=site (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
Remember that Week 3 will cover the following Course Outcomes.
• CO 3: Define standardized terminology that reflects nursing’s unique contribution to patient outcomes (PO 3).
CO 8: Discuss the value of best evidence as a driving force to institute change in delivery