The purpose of this PowerPoint presentation is to provide an opportunity to develop a community health nursing intervention and evaluation plan for a community health problem that you identified in your community (described in Milestone 2: Vulnerable Population Assessment). You will apply the components of the nursing process to assist this vulnerable population and develop a proposal that could be presented to community leaders.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
CO1: Apply principles of nursing theory to the public health system by analyzing determinants of health and the public health intervention wheel. (PO 1)
CO3: Plan prevention and population-focused interventions for vulnerable populations using professional clinical judgment and evidence-based practice. (PO 4, 8)
CO4: Evaluate the delivery of care for individuals, families, aggregates, and communities based on theories and principles of nursing and related disciplines. (PO 1)
You are a community public health nurse (C/PHN) working with the vulnerable population you identified in Milestone 2. You will choose a specific community health role that would serve this population. You have analyzed the data collected from your windshield survey and vulnerable population assignments (the first two milestones) and identified one community health problem that a nurse can impact. Now, review the scholarly literature or scholarly websites listed below and identify one specific evidence-based nursing intervention that has the potential to improve the health of this group. Then develop a proposal to implement this intervention and a plan to evaluate the outcomes of this intervention. Create a PowerPoint that you could use to present to an organization in your community to request approval for funding and support for this intervention. (You are not required to implement the intervention or present your PowerPoint, though you may want to consider implementing your project in the future).
Watch the Milestone 3 tutorial at http://www.brainshark.com/devry/Milestone3_2016 (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site..
A. Introduction: (average of 2-3 slides)
· Describe the identified problem
· Include at least two important findings that demonstrate that this is a problem in your community.
· Describe your specific community health role: Some examples of roles are school nurse, parish nurse, home health nurse, occupational nurse, health department nurse etc.
· Identify the purpose of the presentation which is related to proposing a community health intervention and evaluation plan.
B. Identify an evidence based intervention: (average of 2-3 slides).
· Find an evidence-based nursing intervention from a peer-reviewed journal article OR one of the following databases. These databases evaluate research evidence about community health interventions. Be sure that your intervention is one that is recommended. Cite your source on the slide with the author or organization and year.
· Use at least one of the following to identify an evidence based intervention:
· A peer reviewed journal article demonstrating that your intervention has been successful
· The Community Guide (http://www.thecommunityguide.org/ (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.) Choose one of the topics in the topic tab to find interventions.
· The CDC Community Health Improvement Navigator Database of Interventions (http://wwwn.cdc.gov/chidatabase (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.)
· Healthy People 2020 evidence-based interventions. Find a relevant topic area at (http://www.healthypeople.gov/2020/topics-objectives (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.), click on that topic area, and then click on the “Interventions and Resources” tab to see the evidence-based interventions list for that topic area
· Provide a brief overview of your intervention.
· Discuss why this intervention is a good fit for your community (why you expect it to be effective in your community).
C. Intervention Implementation: (average of 3-4 slides).
Describe how you would implement your community health nursing intervention in your community
· Discuss the actions will you take as the community health nurse to accomplish this intervention.
· Relate your actions to the Public Health Intervention Wheel (Nies & McEwen, 2015, p. 14, Figure 1-3)
· Identify your target population.
· Describe how you will reach out to your target population.
· Include strategies to engage your target population.
· Describe where the intervention will take place.
· Identify when your intervention will take place
· Will it take place once or multiple times?
· Identify those in the community that you will collaborate with (e.g., physician’s office, church, local resources, etc.).
· Explain what level(s) of prevention is your intervention addressing (primary, secondary, or tertiary prevention)?
D. Proposed Evaluation Methods: (average of 2-3 slides)
Your presentation must include at least one proposed quantitative or qualitative evaluation method that you would use to determine whether your intervention is effective. Outcome measurement is a crucial piece when implementing interventions.
· Describe the method you would use to evaluate whether your intervention was effective. (The Qualitative and Quantitative Education Methods (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. handout can help with understanding qualitative and quantitative methods of evaluation).
· Identify the outcomes you would track to show whether your intervention works (eg. BMI would be one outcome you could track for a weight loss intervention).
· When would you measure these outcomes?