This assignment provides a learning activity for students to demonstrate understanding of quantitative and qualitative research, the purpose and importance of designs, and how research is critical for creating a credible evidence-based nursing practice.
This assignment enables the student to meet the following Course Outcomes.
CO1: Examine the sources of evidence that contribute to professional nursing practice. (PO 7)
CO2: Apply research principles to the interpretation of the content of published research studies. (POs 4 & 8)
CO5: Recognize the role of research findings in evidence-based practice. (POs 7 & 8)
Submit the completed assignment paper by Sunday, 11:59 p.m. MT at the end of Week 5.
This assignment is worth 225 points.
Directions for Preparing the Scholarly Paper
1. Read each of these instructions.
2. Read the assignment grading rubric criteria.
3. This assignment is completed as an APA paper. APA resources can be found in your Resources Tab. You are required to complete the paper using the productivity tools required by University, which is Microsoft Office Word 2013 (or later version), or Windows and Office 2011 (or later version) for MAC. You must save the file in the “.docx” format. Do NOT save as Word Pad.
4. You are required to use the grading rubric criteria to ensure you are meeting all grading requirements of the paper.
5. The guideline below is a recommended outline only and does not substitute for your assignment grading rubric; your paper will be graded using the assignment grading rubric criteria. The bolded words below should be used as the headings for your paper. The title of your paper should be: Research Designs: A Critical Element for a Credible Nursing Practice
6. For the introduction section, summarize (see the grading rubric for details):
a. The need for nursing research.
b. The importance for nurses to understand the basic principles of research.
c. The purpose of your paper.
7. For the Quantitative Research section summarize (see the grading rubric for details):
a. The importance of quantitative research.
b. One type of quantitative design; explain one important feature of this type of design.
c. How quantitative research can help improve nursing practice.
8. For the Qualitative Research section summarize (see the grading rubric for details):
a. The importance of qualitative research.
b. One type of qualitative design; explain one important feature of this type of design.
c. How qualitative research can help improve nursing practice.
9. For the Research Sampling section summarize (see the grading rubric for details):
a. What is sampling and why is sampling important.
b. One sampling strategy used in quantitative research.
c. One other sampling strategy that you learned.