Examine roles and competencies of masters-prepared nurses essential to performing as leaders and advocates of safe and quality care..
Examine roles and competencies of master’s-prepared nurses essential to performing as leaders and advocates of safe and quality care. CO2: Apply concepts of person-centered care to nursing practice situations.
Week 3 Assignment: Addressing Bias
Guidelines with Scoring Rubric
In today’s current healthcare settings, the increasing diversity, globalization, and expanding technologies produce complex ethical pressures that influence nursing practice and practice outcomes. To be effective in amaster’s-prepared advanced nurse practice role it is important to understand personal values, beliefs, strengths, and limitations. The purpose of this assessment is to promote introspective reflection related to implicit and/or explicit personal biases. Students will develop a plan to reduce bias and promote personal and professional growth.
Through this assessment, the student will meet the following Course Outcomes.
CO1: Examine roles and competencies of master’s-prepared nurses essential to performing as leaders and advocates of safe and quality care.
CO2: Apply concepts of person-centered care to nursing practice situations.
TOTAL POINTS POSSIBLE
This assessment is worth 125 points.
Submit your file(s) by 11:59 p.m. MT Sunday at the end of Week 3.
Criteria for Content
Complete a self-inventory on personal biases you hold. The biases might be implicit or explicit.
1. In a one to two-pagesummary, address the following.
a. Identify your selected specialty track (education, executive, family nurse practitioner, healthcare policy, or nursing informatics).
b. Discuss how biases can impact outcomes in selected nursing practice settings.
c. Identify personal biases and attitudes toward people with various cultural, gender, sexual orientation, age, weight, and religions that are different than your own.
d. Select one bias that you have.
e. Develop one strategy to reduce this bias.
PREPARING THE PAPER
1. Application: Use Microsoft Word 2013™ to create the written assessment.
2. Length: The paper (excluding the title page and reference page) is at maximum two pages.
3. A minimum of two (2) scholarly literature references must be used.
4. Submission: Submit your files: Last name_First initial_Wk3Assignment_Addressing Bias
Best Practices in Preparing the Project
The following are best practices in preparing this project.
1. Review directions thoroughly.
2. Follow submission requirements.
3. Make sure all elements on the grading rubric are included.
4. Rules of grammar, spelling, word usage, and punctuation are followed and consistent with formal, scientific writing.
5. Title page, running head, body of paper, and reference page must follow APA guidelines as found in the 6th edition of the manual. This includes the use of headings for each section of the paper except for the introduction where no heading is used.
6. Ideas and information that come from scholarly literature must be cited and referenced correctly.
7. A minimum of two (2)scholarly literature references must be used.
8. Abide by CCN academic integrity policy.