Do you think the nursing staff has a responsibility to understand the units budget?.
Leadership and Management in Nursing
•What information and new knowledge does Brenda need?
•In what real way will this new responsibility enhance productivity in the division?
1. What do you think the nurse manager’s role should be concerning the ?nances of the organization?
2. Do you think the nursing staff has a responsibility to understand the unit’s budget? What role do they play in controlling it?
3. During your next clinical rotation, identify at least two cost-saving measures that the unit could implement.
4. Do some double-entry accounting of the money you began the week with and how you spent your
Funds. Was your spending what you anticipated?
5. On your next clinical rotation, observe the pattern of staff, the use of drugs and equipment, and any-
thing that is unusual. Determine a simple budget for the division. Use categories for salaries, drugs
and equipment, and housekeeping expenses. Then observe to discover if there will be a deviation from
your plan. For instance, observe if extra patients are admitted, if a disaster occurs, or if too few staff re-
quires the use of nurses from an internal ?oat pool or an outside staf?ng agency.