Discuss the regulation of electronic nicotine delivery systems (e-cigarettes) in Australia. (Note: you will need to consider regulation at both national and state/territory levels). To what extent is Australia’s regulation of e-cigarettes consistent with the Framework Convention for Tobacco Control and the World Health Organization’s report on Electronic nicotine delivery systems (submitted to the sixth session of Conference of the Parties to the WHO Framework Convention on Tobacco Control in 2014)?
The assignment should follow a report-style format with an introduction, number of sections and conclusion. Headings and sub-headings should be used; they also provide clear ‘signposts’ to your content.
In preparing a report, you should include:
1. A brief introduction (stating rationale, purpose and structure)
2. Number of sections (most of the report)
• describe background and context (historical development, nature and scale of the health problem, political and social context of the legislation)
• explain and analyse the legislative and regulatory framework of the topic
• analyse the legislation in the context of changes and improvements (or otherwise) to public health outcomes
• critique the roles and responsibilities of major stakeholders (government, industry, non-government organisations, etc.) and what role have they played in influencing this legislation? (if applicable)
• analyse and explain whether the national legislation is consistent with international frameworks (if applicable)
• explain the strategies adopted in implementing the legislation.
[Note: The information in the body of the report will vary according to the topic selected for analysis]
3. Conclusion (1 paragraph)
• summarise key points and arguments, and discuss future implications (if applicable). If appropriate, you may also include a number of recommendations in the conclusion.
A list of references documenting the evidence used to support your arguments, should be presented at the end of the report. Refer to References below for additional details.
• Word document
• Arial, Calibri or Times New Roman font
• Size 12 font (headings can be larger/bond font if required)
• 1.5 line spacing