Discuss the importance of Peplaus interpersonal process to nursing care.
Discuss the importance of Peplau’s interpersonal process to nursing care
After completing this module, you will be able to do the following:
· Discuss the importance of Peplau’s interpersonal process to nursing care
· Analysis Henderson’s and the ANA’s definition of nursing
· Apply Orem’s Theory of self-care deficits to a case study
· Assess the application of each theoretical model to clinical research and practice
· Discuss the relevance of the basic principles proposed by these theorists to the current practice of nursing.
· Compare and contrast the theoretical perspectives of each theory and identify commonalities and differences among the theories.
· Describe the impact that each theorist had on the development of nursing knowledge.
This module introduces the work of three important 20th-century nursing theorists: Virginia Henderson, Hildegard Peplau, and Dorothea Orem. Peplau discusses the importance of the nurse-patient relationship in the different phases of nursing care. Henderson help shape the definition of nursing, and we will explore how the definition has changed over time. Lastly, we will explore Orem’s theory of self-care deficits and apply our knowledge to a case study. This module summarizes each of these early scholars and their conceptualization of nursing and the nurse-patient relationship. Their work situated the focus of nursing from performance of tasks to engagement in a therapeutic relationship designed to facilitate health and healing.
1. Smith, M. C., & Parker, M. E. (2015). Nursing theories and nursing practice (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis. ISBN 978-0-8036-3312-4 Chapters 5, 6, & 8.
2. American Nurse Association. (2018).
Start by reading and following these instructions:
1. Quickly skim the questions or assignment below and the assignment rubric to help you focus.
2. Read the required chapter(s) of the textbook and any additional recommended resources. Some answers may require you to do additional research on the Internet or in other reference sources. Choose your sources carefully.
3. Consider the discussion and any insights you gained from it.
4. Create your Assignment submission and be sure to cite your sources, use APA style as required, check your spelling.