Describe how you would collaborate with a nurse leader to reach consensus on the best strategy to employ to deal with the conflict..
The purpose of this assignment is to learn how to identify and effectively manage conflicts that arise in care delivery settings resulting in better management of patient care, including appropriate delegation. You will gain insight into conflict management strategies and develop a plan to collaborate with a potential nurse leader about the conflict and its impact in a practice setting.
Completion of this assignment enables the student to meet the following course outcomes.
CO 1: Apply leadership concepts, skills, and decision making in the provision of high-quality nursing care, healthcare team management, and the oversight and accountability for care delivery in a variety of settings. (PO 2)
CO 3: Participate in the development and implementation of imaginative and creative strategies to enable systems to change. (PO 7)
CO 6: Develop a personal awareness of complex organizational systems, and integrate values and beliefs with organizational mission. (PO 7)
CO 7: Apply leadership concepts in the development and initiation of effective plans for the microsystems and system-wide practice improvements that will improve the quality of healthcare delivery. (POs 2 and 3)
This assignment is worth 200 points.
1. Observe nurses in a care delivery setting. Identify a recurring conflict with the potential to negatively impact patient care. Decide if delegation was an issue in the conflict. This should be from your practice setting or prelicensure experiences (Hospital Setting Miami).
2. Provide details of what happened, including who was involved, what was said, where it occurred, and what was the outcome that led you to decide the conflict was unresolved.
3. Identify the type of conflict. Explain your rationale for selecting this type.
4. Outline the four stages of conflict, (Latent conflict, Perceive Conflict, Felt conflict, and Manifest conflict) and how they relate to your example.
5. Propose strategies to resolve the conflict. Search scholarly sources in the library and the Internet for evidence on what may be effective.
6. Discuss if delegation was an issue in the conflict. Be specific.
7. Describe how you would collaborate with a nurse leader to reach consensus on the best strategy to employ to deal with the conflict.
8. Describe the rationale for selecting the best strategy.
9. Provide a summary or conclusion about this experience or assignment and how you may deal with conflict more effectively in the future.
10. Write a 5 page paper (not including the title or References pages) using APA format that includes the following.
a. Describe an unresolved (recurring) conflict that you experienced or observed. Identify the type of conflict.
b. Provide details of what happened, including who was involved, what was said, where it occurred, and what was the outcome that led you to decide the conflict was unresolved.
c. Outline the four stages of conflict, as described in Finkelman, and how the stages relate to your example. Decide if delegation was an issue in the conflict. Be specific.
d. Describe the strategies for conflict resolution and how you would collaborate with a nurse leader to resolve the conflict. Cites resources.
e. Provide a conclusion or summary about this experience and how you may deal with conflict more effectively in the future.